A $5,000 USD Dr. Greg Bossart Memorial Scholarship is accessible to a graduate scholar in wildlife biology, epidemiology, veterinary, medical, public well being, primary or social sciences or different post-graduate program specializing in the interconnection between folks, animals, crops, and their shared setting utilizing a One Well being framework. Funds will probably be awarded in November 2021.
Greg Bossart, VMD, Ph.D. was a extremely revered veterinarian, pathologist, and conservationist dedicated to advancing the understanding of marine mammals as sentinels of ocean and human well being. With a profession spanning 30 years and over 200 publications, Dr. Bossart recognized resurgent and rising illnesses in dolphins, manatees, birds, and whales. His analysis and revolutionary methods helped characterize the primary viral illnesses in manatees and he was chargeable for creating the primary immunohistochemical method for diagnosing brevetoxicosis (purple tide poisoning) in each marine mammals and birds.
Dr. Bossart was a devoted proponent of the One Well being idea and strategy which was a outstanding theme in his long-running Atlantic bottlenose dolphin Well being and Environmental Threat Evaluation (HERA) undertaking. Began in 2003, HERA was developed to watch how dolphin well being in coastal habitats is impacted by environmental stressors and the way these stressors doubtlessly additionally impression human well being. His contributions to the research of marine mammal well being are far-reaching, and thru this scholarship, Georgia Aquarium is dedicated to honoring Dr. Bossart’s One Well being legacy.
Eligibility & Necessities
- Applicant have to be a scholar at present registered in a post-graduate program (towards MSc, PhD, DVM, MPH, MD, or equal, medical or analysis levels) and dealing on a undertaking that encompasses the One Well being mannequin and/or addresses a One Well being subject.
- Funds can be utilized to assist analysis or instructional prices (tuition, fieldwork provides, analytical prices, convention journey, and so on.) and ought to be outlined within the software supplies.
How you can Apply
candidates ought to submit (as a single pdf packet):
- A Challenge Narrative (to not exceed 1500 phrases) that features: Summary, Background / Introduction, Challenge Objectives, Strategies, Significance/Contribution, How the proposed work matches inside the One Well being framework, Use of funds
- A present CV.
- A letter from the graduate program that the scholar has been accepted into or is enrolled in demonstrating their good standing
- One letter of advice from a college member or clinician who’s conversant in the scholar’s work.
Software supplies ought to be submitted electronically by October 15, 2021 to: